The Designer Crafts Blog Connection hops today. This month's theme challenge was a design related to a celebration, birthday, holiday or any other special occasion. I chose a baby shower theme specifically "baby girl". I was inspired by some beautiful papers I was given at the summer CHA show from KaiserCraft, adorable Bazooples appliques and buttons and I must admit being the mother of two girls I love everything girly! I created a whimsical welcome sign for the door. Setting the mood for a celebration begins at the door!
Materials: 2 co-ordinated papers by KaiserCraft from the Miss Nellie Collection
12" x 12" x 1" sheet of STYROFOAM TM brand foam
4 Bazooples flower buttons by Buttons Galore
Bazoople Alphabet letters & 2 pink check heart appliques by Expo International
1 yard each of green check and pink plaid ribbon
2 yards blue sheer ribbon
Punches, spiral, flower, large heart
Cardstock scraps pink, blue and green
9" x 12" piece of pink wool felt by National Nonwovens
Embroidery floss, green and yellow
2 fabric brads
2 mini green clothespins
Power Adhesive Tabs & Mono Aqua by Tombow
Non Stick Scissors & Multi Purpose Trimmer by Westcott
ruler, embroidery needle, paper cutter, knife, cutting mat, pencil.
How to: As with every design the most fun in making it is making it your own. The tiny night gown could be created from paper, be a onesie or diaper. Size needs to be about 3". Choose colors to complement your special baby celebration!
1. Cut foam in half lengthwise. Cover one foam piece with floral paper. Cut two more pieces of paper 4" x 8" (green pindot) and 3" x 4" (blue dot). Adhere as shown to front of foam covered piece.
2. Add ribbons and glue in place. Add narrow ribbon for clothesline. Fasten at ends with brads. Make hole through foam and paper, glue brads in.
3. Punch out three spirals and circles for each flower, three for each one. Punch out two hearts for leaves. Assemble with popdots. Make stems from 3" piece of green check ribbon. Clip shank off flower buttons and adhere to flower centers. Glue flowers to left front.
4. Create or add premade baby outfit to clothesline with tiny clothespins. If making your own garment from felt cut a front and back 3" x 4". Cut 1" heart pocket. Blanket stitch pocket to front. Accent with yellow french knots. Blanket stitch pieces together. Add green french knots to sleeves. Tie tiny bow and glue to center front.
5. Tie bow from sheer ribbon with three loops. Add another small bow to center. Glue heart applique and button to center of bow. Adhere to lower right of front.
6. Cut a piece of sheer ribbon 24". Tie ends at 2" and glue to top corners. Glue two spirals with heart applique and button to center of ribbon. Glue BABY letters to top over clothesline.
Create other items to complement. Use other half of foam standing upright for a centerpiece, decorate both sides, add baby items like booties to bottom for stand. Make mini versions for place cards. Celebrations bring us together in the special moments life offers, a cherished wee one arriving is truly a time to celebrate with joy!
This month's give away is a DVD set of the new TV show, Scrapbook Soup, Series 100. As you hop around look for the Scrapbook Soup logo which appears in eight blogs in the ring. Post where you saw them in the comment section of Julie McGuffee's blog. You have until the 15th to enter. Happy Hopping!