DiY Witchy Halloween Mantel Decor. Grab your broomsticks, some fun pom pom trim, felt and glue to make this cute pillow and wall hanging. I love decorating for every holiday and with all of the fun color choices for Halloween, hard to make a decision. I have several mantels in this old house and the one at the back is where the grandlittles often gather to play so wanted to create a whimsical bright setting.
Working with felt from Kunin Felt and trims from Expo International I decided to make a pillow and a wall hanging with a witch theme. The Peacock felt matched the turquoise pom pom trim exactly and with a black floor, a newly recovered black polka dot chair to work with the turquoise was perfect with a punch of orange!
Here is what you will need for the pillow. If you do not sew this is still super easy peasy! In fact the pillow is made from precut felt pieces.
12" x 18" craft cuts Kunin PremiumfeltTM: 1 Peacock, 2 Black
9" x 12" craft cut Kunin PrestofeltTM: 1 Black
3 yd of Pea Pod Baby Ball Pom Trim: Black
Poly-Fil Supreme® Ultra Plush Fiber Fill 8 Ounce Bag
Fabri-tac Adhesive by Beacon
18" Zipper: 1 white or polka dot
1/4" Button: 1 Black
Scissors, pencil, paper, chalk, ruler, needle and thread, (sewing machine and matching thread optional)
1. Overlap black pieces of felt by 2". Center peacock piece on top of the overlapped black pieces with 2" extra on three sides. Measure and cut off the extra 2" along the bottom. Topstitch or glue around all four sides.
2. Fringe black edge around all four sides of pillow. Glue ball pom trim along seam line on all four sides of pillow.
3. Print out pattern. Cut out pattern and trace on to back of the black prestofelt. Cut out hat pieces. Press hat to center front of pillow. (The presto felt will stick to pillow front but can also be removed to use the pillow for year round.)
4. Cut zipper apart. Hand sew a straight stitch along edge of zipper. Pull stitches and create a spiral shape. Glue to hat. Glue button to center of flower. (You can find tutorials for many different zipper flowers on Pinterest.) I am now obsessed with making zipper flowers especially with these polka dot zippers I found! Stuff pillow through back opening. Handstitch shut.
5. For the wall hanging I made a felt board. I use it several times a year. Basically I just covered the back of the print on my mantel with felt and turn it around and decorate it for several holidays throughout the year. I am all about using what you have in decorating. Saves time and space. Felt comes by the yard so just measure your print and buy enough to cover the back. Enlarge the hat pattern for the center of the wall hanging. I love the pom pom trim strung across the mantel as a garland. It gives the perfect punch to black and white banner.
So excited to share with some other very talented designer friends all this week, fun projects with pom pom trim and we also have a surprise give away at the end of the week! Check out Expo International's Facebook page all this week for awesome projects and the exciting details!
Thank you for stopping by and sharing in the creativity!